Monday, March 29, 2010

Fusing Hand dyed Fabric

As you may know I am a fuser. Most of my quilts are fused, and I usually fuse right to the batting. I am really liking Fairfield 60/40 cotton batting. It is a little stiffer and heavier than what I had been using and it gives my work almost a trapunto look when I quilt it as well as giving more body and support to my wall pieces. They aren’t so limp. Another product  I am really liking is 505 spray adhesive.

IMG_3683

When I haven’t fused the whole back of a piece I use this product to spray baste my quilt to my batting. It lets me spray baste any size quilt to the batting and it stays put!!! It isn’t gummy or stiff and it works really well at keeping everything flat and were you put it. I have been using it for about three months now and haven’t experienced any bad side effects. I have to say that I have been very happy with both of these products.

3 comments:

Sally said...

I also have come to love 505 spray. Recently I picked up a can of Sullivan's spray from my supply closet (I had run out of 505) and spray basted a quilt using the Sullivans. Wrong! The needle gummed up and I had a very frustrating time with skipped stitches. The can is now relegated to the never use again shelf.

Lisa Chin said...

Good to know! I've been using a spray baste but haven't had much luck with larger pieces. Maybe I'm just not using enough. Do you need to have a "thick" layer of spray? Do you put something down under when you are spraying? I seem to get bits of excess over the edges and end up with a gummy floor. :P

Diane J. Evans said...

I'm going to try the 505 again, Frieda -- usually I find that I have to add safety pins mid-way through the quilting because the piece is beginning to shift from being folded under the machine. Any suggestions there?

Diane

Print this page