I am working on a new fused piece. I had disaster strike two days ago. I can only now talk about it. Although it was a minor catastrophe in the world scheme of things, it totally ruined my day.
I have started satin stitching some of my larger pieces. After working on this piece for a full afternoon, I got up from the sewing machine to press out the rippling that is caused when doing satin stitch. I didn’t realize at the time that my iron had gotten fusible on the surface of it. This is something I tell my students ALL the TIME, to make sure that their iron surface is clean. I ironed my newly stitched Jack in the Pulpit and low and behold there was gunk on the surface of my iron that transferred to the surface of my silk Jack in the Pulpit. I was beside myself and tried desperately to remove the gunk. I know from experience that this is rarely something that can be done, removing gunk on the surface of the fabric.
Finally I realized that I must pick out all of the stitches and remove the piece and do it again. Surprisingly it only took me two hours to pick out the stitches and another hour to re cut the pieces and re insert them. Another hour to re stitch the section.
This is a lesson that I will never forget and I will ALWAYS check the surface of my iron and will try to get into the habit of using a pressing cloth in the future.