Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stitch in the Ditch



I like to outline stitch around the design elements in my quilts. No matter if they are fused or pieced I stitch in the ditch when ever possible around the designs. You can see here the red stitching around the veins in this fused version of my Dancing Trees. I stitch right next to not on top of the design, Stitching in the Ditch. I have used #30weight Madeira rayon thread. I like the beautiful colors and heavier weight thread because they show up so well.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

O'Quilts said...

I like this. What did you use in the bobbin?

Sally said...

Thank you. Another helpful look at your wonderful work.

Lisa Chin said...

Beautiful, as usual! - and yes what do you use in your bobbin when you are using such heavy weight top threads?

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I like the final results when stitching in the ditch on a fused piece, however I noticed at the Chicago show that some of the work that used that technique was releasing from the background on one persons pieces. I know that can be refused down by the artist or owner but does that ever bother you when entering in shows? or just because it can happen? It is one of the reasons I prefer to quilt on top.

Diane J. Evans said...

You've mastered the art of free-motion stitching in the ditch -- I have trouble getting my stitching line to be that precise. And I'd like to know, as well, if you ever have trouble with the fused fabric releasing after you have stitched next to it -- this happens to me occasionally.

Diane

Kristi said...

I was so inspired by your instructions, I made one of these too. It took awhile to straight stitch around all the leaves, but it worked really well with just the batting behind. Then I finished quilting it on the longarm. Love the book, too!

Print this page