Monday, January 23, 2012

Step by Step

Friday I showed you the Paper Tablet Keeper I made using Nancy Zieman’s Trace N Create templates.

Today I wanted to show you the steps to make it. It really was fun and easy and a nice change a pace from what I normally do.

The first step for me is always to find the fabric.
friedafabric
Look at all those gorgeous wicked fabrics. It was hard to pick just one.
One of my goals for 2012 to use as much of this fabric as possible.
friedafabric2
The green really caught my eye. I thought it looked mottled and interesting woodland like the area the trilliums grow in.
Quilt Covers PTrilliums copy
I had already decided to use my pattern Petite Trilliums for the cover design.

After ironing and sewing two of the fabrics together to make the cover piece I also fused the back of the cover fabric.

The directions tell you to use a medium weight interfacing but I like the idea of the fusible web. I normally fuse my fabrics anyway. I used the template from the pattern to cut out a slightly larger than the template size background area to create the design. I knew I was going to machine quilt it and the quilting would shrink it  a little so I made it bigger and trimmed it to size when the quilting was done.
friedafabric4

To trace the design from the pattern I used the release paper that peals off of the fused fabric. I always use
WonderUnder #805 when I am fusing and a Sharpie extra fine black marker.

I used the Sharpie extra fine marker to trace the design. Once the design is traced I placed the marker side of the traced design against the fused side of my fabric and pressed with a hot dry iron. I will often cover it with another piece of release paper to protect the exposed fused areas on the rest of the fabric.
friedafabric3
friedafabric5
I always let the fabric cool down and remove all the release paper before I and cut out the design on the line that is transferred to the back of the  fused fabric.

It helps if you use VERY sharp scissors so you get a clean crisp edge.
friedafabric6
Once I had my design finished I added in a layer of Fairfield batting to the back, instead of the extra firm stabilizer that the directions call for.

One of the things I did as I was working with this pattern was to highlight the areas in the pattern that refer to the Paper Keeper part of the design.

The pattern has directions for several different applications and it just made it easier for me to keep track of what I was doing if I highlighted my parts.
paperkeeper
Ok that’s it for now, I will finish up this project tomorrow.
See you then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have a very tough time choosing from those fabrics! lol Thanks for showing us step by step how you worked on this pattern.

gilasunshine said...

These are my colors! I love your blog. I'm going to have to make a tablet keeper.

Print this page