Friday, July 6, 2012

A lesson I have learned as an artist.

FAbeyondthehill
I often have students say to me you are such an artist, and then they say "I can’t draw anything."

And my response to them is - I think we are all artist, looking for our voice.

One of the things I have learned along the way is to -
JUST DO IT

Often we stop ourselves from doing the thing we want to do because we are afraid of failing.
  • Failing what? Not making the thing we want, maybe it will be better than we think.
  • Failing who? We only have ourselves to live with.
  • Failing how? I think we only fail if don’t try.
You don’t just start right off and be the best at anything. You have to work at it over and over and over again.

If you are lucky you will love it and want to do it more and more.  By doing it more and more you will only get better and more efficient at what it is you do DO.

If you begin to hate it, look around for something else to do.

But JUST DO IT.
View album
View albumView albumView albumView albumView album
View album
This advice is for me as much as you.

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

Thanks Frieda. I think it is advice we all need. I have had people tell me that they are not creative. I do not believe them. Everyone is creative if they find their voice. You hit the nail on the head: We only fail if we don't try. Other than that, each "less than perfect" is a learning and growing experience.

Anonymous said...

That is good advice! Thank you! I have no art training in my past, and tend toward being a perfectionist, which I'm trying to overcome. So often I will put things aside because I don't want to mess it up by not doing it well...or perfectly...which really is where I need to "just do it".

I'm a registered participant this year of SewCalGal's 2012 FMQ Challenge because I really needed to learn how FMQ "properly" and greatly improve my skills. June's assignment was basically zendoodling. I did great on paper, but was afraid to do it with thread and fabric because I didn't want to mess it up. My DH urged me to just start doing it, which I did. For at least the first half of my assignment piece, I thought it was amateurish and awful. But something happened while I was working on the remaining half, and it turned out well enough that I got many lovely compliments on it...and completely surprised myself!

You are right...had I hung back and not done it, THAT would have been failure! I've printed this blog post out so that when I'm feeling that way again, I can read your encouraging words. Thanks!

Rhonda said...

Just do it, great advice that we adults are always saying to kids but words that we adults are sometimes afraid to heed. Thank you for stating it so concisely!

Lisa Chin said...

Truer words were never said and I am grateful for the reminder. Thank you so much!

Jean said...

I totally agree! In fact, sometimes I feel like a project goes through an ugly phase...not sure if I just get tired of it, or it truly isn't pretty yet. You start to doubt your ideas, then you finish and it is beautiful!

Print this page