Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Storing Fused Fabrics

I am a fuser. I have LOTS of left over fused scraps. Let me share with you how I store these treasures.
I keep several plastic stacking drawers full of the left over fused pieces. Just because something has fusible web on it doesn’t mean you can’t use it for another project.
IMG_1775
I try to keep the colors sorted by color, but most of the fabrics that I dye are multi colored so this gets a little hard to do sometimes. You can see yellows on the left and red/oranges on the right.
IMG_1776
But sometimes the colors migrate. This is the blue green drawer, what is pink doing in there?
IMG_1777
I inherited these drawers from Melody when she moved to TN, but they still work great AND they fit under my other work areas. These are under my big board ironing surface. Handy to get at while I work.
One of the things you can do with all those leftover scraps is to make a fused purse. With every order on my website - http://www.friestyle.com -this month I will include a free pattern to make this great little fused scrap purse. FUSE ON!!
IMG_1909fascrap_purse_cover
Don’t forget to leave me a comment on your favorite sewing tip to be eligible to win a $25 gift certificate to the Quilt Show.

6 comments:

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Love your idea I will switch over my ironing spot once my studio open house week-ends are done. I am doing more and more fusing.
Have a great day

Linda Dalton said...

What a great idea! I have been putting mine in left over paper bags and that is starting to get out of control! And I just love the little fused purse, I had never thought of doing something like that! Now my head is spinning with other ideas!
I was reading your post about the pictures from Houston and I am the same as you, I take tons of pictures that I like to look at over and over for ideas and inspiration.
You have a wonderful page, its going to take me forever to read all of your posts...and I will probably have to read them again and again...lol!
Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Kathleen said...

How great is your new blog! I love it :)

I go both ways, fusing and piecing. (More fusing)I don't have a great way to store scraps. I'm leaning towards see thru buckets so I can see the colors when stacked and grab the right one. I love that you inherited from Melody. I want to be in the hand-me down line too!

I can not go to the quilt show so skip me for the drawing. How could I use it if I won? I just wanted to say hello :)

Anonymous said...

I've been storing mine in ziplock plastic bags, but I can see that isn't a good long term solution. Thanks for the idea about the drawers! I'm either going to have to empty a couple or get some new ones to use for it.

The bag is really cute!

Chris Chambers said...

I have been storing mine in extra large zip lock bags (2 feet by 2 feet) and have them hanging in a spare closet. It's nice to be able to see them. But not sure what will happen when they are completely full.
I attended your lecture in Mission Viejo this year and bought some of your patterns. They turned out great!!

Linda Dalton said...

Also, talking about container solutions, I am the queen of recycling and always looking at things before I throw them away to decide it I can re-purpose them. I purchase a brand of spices and specialty sauces that come in a nice glass jar and when they are empty, I have been cleaning them out good, removing the old label and replacing them with a fun label of my own and I fill them with all kinds of embellishments. Buttons, ribbons, mini pom poms, etc... They look really cute together on my shelf and even if you use other glass jars of different sizes they look fab together. This is such a low cost solution and something that makes me feel like I am being "green". Thinking I should post a picture of these on my Facebook page now that I am thinking about it! Thanks for sharing your ideas Frieda, I am always looking for new ways to store things!

Print this page