Monday, November 21, 2011

Baby Quilt

My niece Gretchen is expecting her first child. Gretchen’s standard response to me whenever I ask her what she wants as a present – a quilt auntie. So of course I had to make her a quilt for the new little one. I’m calling him Charlie, no name yet that I am aware of.
Here is Charlie’s quilt. It is made from Tula Pink’s pattern  Modern Alphabet. I worked with Tula this summer at the Sister’s quilt show. We spent a great morning waiting at the airport. We had breakfast together.IMG_1985
Here’s my version made with hand dyed fabrics. Gretchen said she wanted it in blues and browns.
IMG_1980
This is a really easy pattern to make. I think I would just use one brown color instead of the three that I did use. However It was not much fun to quilt because each of the letters had to have straight line quilting in it to emphasis the letter shape.
If I do it again I will do the straight lines before I assemble the quilt and then stipple around the straight lines after the quilt is assembled.
IMG_1982
IMG_1983
I did add in some fun animals to the background quilting.
I know she will love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute baby quilt. I love the animals that you quilted in.

Print this page