Monday, September 19, 2011

The Alpenhof B&B and George Nakashima

I just returned from working outside Philadelphia. While I was there doing workshops and lectures for three guilds, the guilds housed me in a very special place, a B&B called the Alpenhof. I have provided a link for you to see for yourself how wonderful this B&B is. I hope you will click on the link and  look at the pictures on their site to get a feel of this place. The house itself is a refurbished 300 year old stone barn that was saved from destruction in the 1960’s. It was turned into a family residence and lived in these past 50 years by the same family. The youngest son of the family is now running it as a B&B. I have had a relaxed and rejuvenating time here. Not only is my room great, but breakfast has been wonderful and the gardens around the house are lovely. The owner was a fanatical gardener and there are many special places to sit and enjoy the views.

image

One of the many fantastic things about this B&B is that there are several pieces of furniture by the famed artist George Nakashima. When I was in DC several years ago I viewed an exhibition of his work at the Renwick Galleries. It was exciting for me to actually  sit in some of his chairs and eat breakfast at a table made by him. Living with art can be so rewarding. Please go to his website and view his extraordinary furniture. You will be treated visually as well as spiritually.

image

Conoid dining table

I feel very lucky that I have a job that I love and that also feeds me as an artist. Not only do I get to meet new and interesting people all the time  but I  am inspired and rewarded by what I do.

No comments:

Print this page