Thursday, December 17, 2009

My friend Margot

church2

My friend Margot Cusimano (second from the right) passed away last night, after a short battle with ALS. I will miss Margot so much, she was a curmudgeon, an outspoken red headed pacifist, a swearing liberal, a loyal friend and always fun and ready to go someplace and do something adventuresome.

I meet Margot at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Elgin in a program called “Cakes for the Queen of Heaven”. I was immediately taken with her frank speech and willingness to tackle difficult subjects. Over the years we became good friends and in the last twelve years we worked together on a yearly raffle quilt to benefit our church programs.

I will miss her very much and her absence will leave a large hole in my heart.2001

margo2001 quilting2000

Good bye Margot.

11 comments:

Susan Turney said...

A beautiful tribute. Wouldn't we all like to be remembered just that way! I send my sympathy.

randi said...

Beautifully written Frieda...a lovely tribute which made me wish I had the opportunity to know her.

Lisa Chin said...

What a wonderful tribute to your friend. Quilters are the best people!

Gerrie said...

I hope someone says that about me some day. I wish I had known her. Sorry for your loss.

Leslie said...

She sounds like a remarkable lady and wonderful friend. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'd love to know the story behind the "naked quilt" photo.

Diane J. Evans said...

My sympathies, Frieda -- you have given her a wonderful tribute in this blog post, and I'm sure that she's smiling down from heaven at you.

Diane

Emily said...

I'm so sorry. Hugs to you.

Unknown said...

Frieda, you don't know me, but I met Margot at the Bayview Week of Handbells in 2005. She and I instantly bonded and we had some great times at Bayview. Thank you so much for posting this wonderful picture of all of you with that gorgeous quilt! I saved that to my desktop and now, every morning at work, I open up my computer and there is Margot smiling at me. What a gift! Thank you!

Sherry Colgrove
Euless, Texas

Frieda Anderson said...

Every year our group the UUquilters made a raffle quilt to benefit our church. We always printed up tickets for the congregation to sell and put a picture of the quilt in the envelope with the tickets. This particular year Margot wanted the picture to be like the Calendar Girls, so we all posed without our bras. Go Margot!!

Unknown said...

That sounds like her, LOL!

Unknown said...

By the way, which one is you, Frieda?

Print this page