Sunday, June 27, 2010

In the Field

I wanted to show you how I quilted around some trees in this new piece called "In the Fields". I wanted to be able to quilt around the first tree, but I wanted to tuck the ends of all the trees under the fields. So I left the two left trees fused to release paper in the upper portion and tucked the trunks in under the fields and fused them down. I then folded back the two right trees and quilted the one on the left. Once it was quilted I removed the next tree from the paper and fused it down and quilted it. Finally I fused down the third tree and quilted it. I did stitch in the ditch around the trunk and then a decorative stitch up the tree branch. I picked a stitch that looked like chicken feet and narrowed it. It is fun to use those decorative stitches.

I pillow cased the edge of this quilt rather than put a binding on it, and marked a 1/2" mark in from the outside edge and straight line quilting up to that 1/2" mark. I think it turned out well.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Elaine said...

I love how this quilt turned out. Your trees are great, your sky is gorgeous, and I like your barn also. It's so unique and homey(maybe that's the barn - like the one I grew up with)

Angie said...

As always, beautiful quilting.

Angie @ www.craftedAngles.com

Diane J. Evans said...

This is wonderful, Frieda -- what kind of stitch did you use on the tree branches? It adds such texture to the piece.

Diane

Sally said...

Turned out very well indeed.

Julie Bagamary said...

Very nice.

Lisa Chin said...

Thank you for showing how you did that. I love seeing how things are done so I will know if I can do it too! The quilt turned out beautiful!

Jackie said...

I love how the fields are curved....

Leslie said...

It's really beautiful. I always love how your quilts show such depth and texture, and I love the pink sky - sunset for me, sunrise for others. Just beautiful!

Print this page