Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mickey Depre - Hexies for Everyone



 DON'T FORGET I HAVE MOVED THIS BLOG to Friestyle.com please visit me there.

  
  
My friend and fellow PAQAette has a great class on Craftsy. Pieced Hexies: Beyond English Paper Piecing.
I meet Mickey Depre many many moons ago at our local quilt group PAQA.
We have even taught together at a couple of venues.
I thought you would enjoy meeting her and checking out HER Craftsy class
titleCard




BUT to get a feel for who Mickey is I asked her a few questions.
Here are her responses.
Enjoy
1.  What year did you make your first quilt? I made my first traditional quilt in
 1988. My husband bought me a quilting frame for my birthday the first year we
 were married. The journey began there.
 I made my first art quilt about 7 years later when the skill of applique entered my
 life. I have been making both at a steady clip since.

2. What is the first show, and year, that you ever entered your art quilts? Venue?
The very first show I entered was Quilt America in Indianapolis. I think
 the year was 1997. The thrill of seeing my quilt hanging was beyond words. I tell
 all my students, enter shows, even local shows, because if no one enters…well
 there is no show.

3. What is your artistic style?
My style is whatever suits me. Most of my art
quilts are described as whimsical and that is fine by me. When it comes to
traditional quilts they run the gamut from very traditional to funky.

4. Have you ever changed your style from when you started making quilts?
 I haven’t changed my style but what has happened is am showing but sides of
 my quilt personality. As I have often said “There is enough fabric in in the stash
to make both Art and Tradtiional Quilts.

6. What other medium in art influences your work as a fiber artist? My daughter
 is a printmaker. This has brought all kinds of new books and art venues into
 focus. Plus now I can’t stop looking deeper into advertising and the graphics
 used.

7. What do you have coming up? Shows, Articles in magazines, Books, etc.
 Presently I am working on Pieced Hexies Two (tentative name) due for release in
 early 2014.

8. Describe your studio space: My studio space is “Heaven under Earth” as it
is the basement. But it is all mine and where you can find me many mornings at
1am. Being nocturnal I burn a lot of midnight oil.
PiecedHexiesCOVER








It's always fun to hear other people talk about their quilting arts and I get great inspiration from what other people are doing, don't you?

No comments:

Print this page